Sunday, May 30, 2004

the showmedamoney code

Just finished The DaVinci code and honestly am wondering what all the hype was about.

It seems to me that more and more books are being written as screenplays. See Matthew Reilly's works that simply ooze Sylvester Stallone or good old Arny.

It's easy to see how this would translate into a blockbuster without any tweaking. Unfortunately although I can't blame authors when there is so much money to be had (ala Ms Rowling), I think some of the art of storywriting has been lost along the way. It's predictable in places and the ending is definitely flat.

Being what I like to term as a bit of a God Botherer, I was ready for a challenge but there is none - factually there are as many holes in this book's premise as an old poncho and they have been addressed elsewhere. There's nothing in this to shake an apple tree, never mind one's faith (no pun intended to those who have already read it).

However, it was an interesting read by the fire on a cold winter's day so I'm not complaining.

So, now that I am nearly finished a borrowed book - Almost French - I am feeling that familiar wandering booklust again. I must have a book, or 2 or 3, in hand or I get restless. At which point I shuffle the books in my shelf, which have all been read over and over, and pull out an old faithful until I can get me to a library (or that second hand bookshop where I can get good books but the little man behind the counter is oddly odd and gives me the shivers).

I have Campbell's Kingdom as a stop gap, but am nearly finished that as well. Oh my!

No comments: